Thursday, February 19, 2009

Pomelo Salad


Until a few months ago, X has never tried pomelo. I was shocked. But then again, pomelos over here falls under the category of "Lucky if you can find it". Of the supermarkets & grocery stores I normally go to, only one seem to stock these on a regular basis.

It has already become our family favorite. We can easily finish one per meal. So it was a no-brainer that I make a salad with it. There seem to be many recipes out there for Yam Som-O - with coconut cream or dessicated coconut, with chicken etc.


None of the recipes, as authentic as they may be, appealed to me so I decided to just make it up as I go along. Shredding the pomelo took a long time because The Girl kept interrupting me for some. But other than it, this was really easy to put together.
I wasn't particularly thrilled with this attempt although X gave a thumbs up. It may have to do with the fact that I ran out of limes & didn't use enough in the dressing. I wished it would have been more flavorful.

In case you're interested, here's what I toss with the pomelo - cooked shrimps (shells removed), lime juice, fish sauce, cut chilli, sugar, crushed roasted peanuts & dried shrimps.

4 comments:

eunice said...

Have to admit that never ate pomelo till I came to BKK cos in Sin have to peel it by myself (so lazy) but here, you can buy it cut and nicely packed. Yam som-O is my fave salad.

petite fleur said...

Eunice
Do you have a good yam som-o recipe then ? And guess what I just found some young papaya's yesterday - yippee going to make som tam tonight !!!

eunice said...

Er... dunno how to make it as I can get it here easily.The one I like has the fried dessicated coconut, a bit of hae bee and nice, juicy prawns.

Have you tried somtam with fruit? Really, really good.

Better start learning to cook these cos don't think can find it in HCMC

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

This is yummy...if I find pomelo I'll try out your recipe.