Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cool & Glam Kampong Glam

Some weekends, I just want to be a tourist in my own country.

I go to the Singapore Tourism Board website (no kidding) & I browse the sections What to Do & What to See. Don't let anyone tell you Singapore is boring. There are lots to do if you make the effort.

So there I was looking at Ethnic Quarters on the site & realised that I haven't been to Kampong Glam in a while. A friend had recommended a restaurant in that area so with food as another motivation, that was where we headed one weekend.

I was in for quite a surprise !


The beautiful & elegant Sultan Mosque

Visitors are allowed into the mosque but the usual dress code applies & they have garments available if you are not. I'm always attracted to spiritual places.

This is the Malay Heritage Museum. I was disappointed with the collection but do go to check out the building which was the Sultan's Palace & the beautifully maintained garden.

The Girl on a buggy on display on the grounds of the Malay Heritage Museum

If you're looking for fabrics, Arab Street is the place to go. The whole street is devoted to textile shops & ornaments for making a outfit - lace, diamantes, sequins etc. Too bad I can't sew to save my life.

We had a lot of fun window shopping. Bussorah Street, in front of the Mosque is now a pedestrian mall. Haji Lane is now home to lots of small boutiques. I want to go back again to troll the shops when I don't have The Girl on tow.

A cool looking shop on Haji Lane

Sleepy Sam's - a bed & breakfast right smack in the middle of Kampong Glam


The little poser


I love how they've restored the old shop houses in that area into really quirky & chic retail outlets


There is also a real retro feel about the place. Can't remember the name of this shop but it's on Bussorah Mall - remember the chatek, those paper balls that we have to blow up, the marbles....there I go again, being all nostalgic.


No comments: