Thursday, September 25, 2008

Blette Frittata

I love dishes that you can use whatever you have in the pantry or better yet, with leftovers. This is one of them. Frittata. It's an Italian omelette that is filled with meat, vegetables & cheese. Like I say, whatever you have on hand.

I'm fascinated with this cos it's first cooked on the stove & then finished off in the oven. Can my pan even go into the oven ? I even had to do a dry run to make sure it fits, silly me.

I made mine with blette (can anyone tell me what's the English name for this vegetable ?) which is sort of like spinach & sun dried tomatoes (you can tell this is my current favorite ingredient). And did I mention, you can use whatever you have available. We've eaten ours both hot & cold & seems fine either way.

Blette Frittata
adapted from Simply Recipes

500g blette or spinach
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
9 large eggs
2 Tbsp milk
1/3 cup grated cheese (parmesan, emmental)
sun dried tomatoes (optional)

1. Preheat oven at 210 C

2. Cook blette in about 1/4 cup of water until wilted. Drain & set aside

3. Whisk together the eggs, cheese, milk, salt & pepper. Add in the sun dried tomatoes

4. Using an oven-proof non stick pan. Fry the onions & garlic in olive oil. Next stir in the vegetables. Then spread them evenly over the pan. Pour the egg mixture over making sure to lift up the vegetables to let the eggs flow underneath.

5. When the eggs are about half set, put the whole pan into the oven for 15 mins until the frittata is puffy & golden.

** Remember that the handle from the pan is still going to be hot after removing from the oven.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's 7:30am and I normally don't take breakfast before going to the office. But seeing the picture of the fritata and reading the recipe, imagining the smell of onion and eggs being fried, is making me hungry! Why not just cook it on the stove? Why the need to put it in the oven? One of those mysteries like why Wall St, with all their geniuses, screwed up so badly this time.

petite fleur said...

Oh my goodness. Is it who I think it is ? How are you ? Markets must be slow if you're reading blogs at 7.30am. How did you find my blog ?

Even tho I've been following the news, Wall St is like a different world to me now.

Email me at rojakrendezvous@gmail.com. Love to catch up with you.

SIG said...

It did look like spinach to me. For those who don't have blette, I guess spinach is a good substitute. :)