Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Katong Laksa not in Katong

Gosh I thought I'd never finish my posts on Vietnam. Seem to have taken me forever.

Now let's move on.

I'm always amused at *displaced* food places eg. Odeon Beef noodles, Jalan Kayu Roti Prata & Katong Laksa that are no longer at their original home territory. We, Singaporeans seem to identify our food with the place rather than the name of the chef.

Come to think of it, are there any famous street food chefs that you know of ? I'm not talking about the likes of Sam Leong which you would associate with Tung Lok but say maybe a particular hawker sifu that is known by his/her name eg. Mr Lim Ah Beng's famous fried kway teow. Know any ?

So there is this stall in our neighbourhood named Katong Laksa & we obviously don't live in Katong. We frequent it often & surprisingly, a favorite with X. I say surprisingly only because I would have never thought the strong flavor of laksa & coconut would appeal to foreign tastebuds like Anthony Bourdain. To be honest, laksa was never one of my favorite until very recently.

For $3.50 (don't you love how cheap street food is in Asia, there is no way I can buy anything off the street in France for under 2 euro), you get a small bowl of laksa. I love mine with extra cockles so my usual is the medium portion & X always order the biggest bowl.

I doubt their laksa is prepared from scratch on site but it still has a lot of depth & a step up from the food court ones that are just regular, if you know what I mean.

There is a reason they are called Katong Laksa. Don't bother with the nasi lemak.

No comments: