Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pot au Feu

Looking back at my posts, I realised that I'd not included any French recipes. Not that I don't cook any French dishes, I actually do a fair bit of them. I guess it is not as challenging to attempt say chee cheong fun in a French kitchen.

Since we're having a bit of a cold spell, I thought I'd make pot au feu. The ubiquitous French comfort dish.

I love pot au feu for many reasons. 1. It is so easy to prepare. Dump all ingredients into the pot & don't think about it for the next 3 hours. 2. It's a one dish meal. Serve the meat with vegetables & potatoes & you're done. 3. I can use left overs for hache parmentier.

It's so easy that there's no recipe for this. Just buy a cartilaginous cut of beef (I usually use beef shank) or you can use short ribs, put in a pot with enough water to cover it. Let it boil. Once it's boiling, reduce heat & ladle off the scum. Then add 2-3 carrots, cut in big pieces & 2-3 leeks whole. Salt & pepper. Cook for 3 hours or until the meat is tender. In the meantime, boil some potatoes & make your own mayonnaise. Voila, that's it.

Serve the meat with the soft vegetables & boiled potatoes together with some home made mayonnaise. The broth is usually served separately. It's perfect on a cold winter day.

Watch out for tomorrow's installment of hache parmentier.

No comments: