Sunday, May 31, 2009

ivi, his life by Compagnie Mediane


Photo credit : Bart Kootstra

I had a hard time trying to figure out which holiday programme to take The Girl to. There are just so many to choose from. There's the ACE ! Festival. There's the Children's Season. Not to mention all the events free or otherwise throughout the month.

We went for our first show yesterday. I think I might have chosen it because the group is from France, Compagnie Mediane. The show's called ivi, his life. Needless to say, there were many French kids in the audience (while standing in line to enter the theatre, The Girl turned to me & asked why there were so many people speaking Chinese - yikes has French now become alien to her ? ).

Both of us thoroughly enjoyed the show which is why I'm recommending it here. It's a very French production - wacky, smart, innovative & highly entertaining. The audience is split in 2 with the stage / screen in the middle. The performer, iVi would alternate on either side against a screen projection of colours & graphics using ordinary objects like paintbrush, shuttlecork. A lot of fun.

There are also separate workshop sessions with audience participation & where they will be explaining how the effects are created.


1 comment:

Ivana said...

The girl is so cute! When I speak to B in mandarin she also tells me, "No french mama!"