Saturday, May 30, 2009

Shrimp Paste Chicken Wings


Just because I've not posted any food photos, doesn't mean we've been eating out all the time. In fact now that my mum's living with us, we've been getting a lot of home cooked food & I really should share some of her dishes.


Funny that my first food post since arriving in Singapore would be Har Cheong Kai (shrimp paste chicken) well in this case chicken wings. I had a look at the photo on my other chicken wing post & to be honest, you wouldn't have known the difference - well you just have to take my word for it. These are Har Cheong Kai Yick.

These are easy to make if you can get hold of Lee Kum Kee's Fine Shrimp Sauce. If you're into deep frying chicken wings, then the trick is to add rice flour (my friend H gave me this tip some time back). It does make the wings nice & crispy. But I usually just roast them in the oven.

Again no recipe - just marinate the wings / chicken parts with chinese wine, pepper, 1-2 Tbsp of Lee Kum Kee's shrimp paste (not too much cos this stuff is salty) & sugar (to counter the saltiness of the shrimp sauce). Best overnight & then roast till brown. I've tried coating with rice flour when I roast but they don't turn out crispy like when you deep fry so I don't bother now.

No comments: