Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cookies & Cream


These here are vanilla pods. Maybe because of laziness or because they look a little menacing, I haven't gotten round to using them. For my ice cream, I just use vanilla essence. Since we have a bunch of them sitting at home, it was about time to showcase these for my attempt at re-creating Haagen Dazs Cookies & Cream.


Remember the chocolate chip cookie ice cream that I made a while back, well it was a prelude to the Cookies & Cream which is our all time favorite. The problem I hadn't made it before was that we couldn't get Oreos around these parts. When I was in Geneva, I practically grabbed every single box I could get my hands on.

Presenting my very own Cookies & Cream.....

Cookies & Cream

400ml milk
400ml heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
150g sugar
1 vanilla pod
8 pieces of Oreos cookies, crushed

1. Heat the milk in low heat

2. Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthwise. Scrap off the seeds into the pot of milk. Throw in the rest of the pod & let it infuse for 15-20 mins

3. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks & then add in the sugar. Mix well.

4. Remove the milk with the vanilla from the stove & pour into the egg mixture. Mix thoroughly

5. Pour the whole mixture back into the pot & over low heat, stirring constantly for about 10-15 mins. When you can run your finger across the back of the wooden spoon & comes up clean, the custard is done

6. Sieve the mixture & discard the vanilla pod. Let the custard cool down over a basin of ice water or just set aside for several hours

7. Pour into ice cream maker as per manufacturer's instructions

8. 5 mins before it is done, pour in the crushed Oreos

9. When done, pour into a container & freezer overnight before serving

No comments: