Monday, November 24, 2008

It never rains, it pours

This was a recipe that I've been meaning to try the moment I saw Sri's post on it. It sounded so delicious - chunky crab meat, crunchy celery, lime juice - what's not to like. The only reason I've not done so before was that wonton skins were so precious. The few packets I have were exclusively used for wontons. I really didn't have any to spare....that was until I discovered that the Asian store in Aubenas, Papilla stocks them too.

I was excited to finally make them but sigh...anything that could go wrong, went wrong with this. First of all, the wonton skins had too much flour on them - nothing that I couldn't fix, I just had to brush the next batch with oil. Then they start crumbling on me the moment they were in the oven but that also got fixed when I brushed them with oil.

When I opened the can of crab meat (no fresh crab meat here) that I'd bought, okay so I wasn't expecting big chunky meat but they turned out to be a sort of watery crab soup - yikes. Then cos I couldn't find fresh mangoes, I used canned mangoes which was another big mistake. To make things worse (yes, it does get worse), my head wasn't screwed on right & instead of dicing the mango-wannabes, I turned them into a puree by putting them thru the food processor.

All I can say about this is that, in the end, the cups turned out great & I would be doing them again for pre-dinner snacks but unless I get the right ingredients for the crab filling, would probably look to substitute with other type of filling instead.

So to see what it should have looked like, go see Sri's beautiful crab wonton cups.

Crab Wonton Cups
source Feed My World

For the Wonton Cups:
18 wonton wrappers, thawed (if frozen)
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

For the dressing:
1 teaspoon lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil

For the salad:
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/2 cup finely diced mango
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves


1. Preheat the oven to 180C.

2. Brush the wonton wrappers with oil, and place each wrapper into a section of a muffin tray. Gently press each wrapper into the tray and arrange so that it forms a cup shape. The wrapper will overlap itself and stick up out of the cup. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove and allow wrappers to cool.

3. Meanwhile whisk together the zest, lime juice, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Add the oil and whisk until well combined.

4. In a medium bowl, toss together the crabmeat, celery, mango, scallion and cilantro. Add dressing and toss to combine. Fill each cup with the crab salad and serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes I really wish you were my neighbor when I am looking at all the food you are cooking!! :p

Sri said...

Yum. They still look good though.
I have yet to make it again. Crab meat is so dang expensive now over my part of the world! Esp fresh crabmeat. Dont like the canned stuff. :D I have to think twice every time I buy crabs! Isn't that horrible??