Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Wannabe Claypot Rice

A true test of how much you really like a dish is how often you can eat it consecutively without getting sick of it. For me, Claypot rice is one of them. It has all my favorite ingredients - chinese mushrooms, lup cheong (chinese sausage) & salted fish. I guess you can tell I'm Cantonese. Each time I do this, I make enough for 4 & even if X is not around, I'll make the same portion & then just eat it 2-3 days in a row. That's how much I love my claypot rice.

So why Wannabe Claypot Rice ? Well that's because it's a wannabe but cannot be. My claypot rice is not cooked in a claypot. Sigh it's the curse of my induction stove top. I love my induction stove top but it limits the equipment I can use. When we first installed it, we had to go out & buy a whole new set of pots & pans cos it wouldn't take any of our old ones.

I got the recipe from one of the mums here. I can't remember who but if you're reading this blog, can you please let me know so that I can thank you for it ?


Wannabe Chicken Claypot Rice
or otherwise known as Chicken Claypot Rice without Claypot
serves 4

3 chicken leg cut to bite size
2 shallots, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
4 slices of ginger
2 lup cheong, sliced
1 piece of salted fish
4 chinese mushroom, soften & cut to strips

Sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp chinese wine
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp oyster sauce
dash pepper & dark soy sauce

1. Cook rice & set aside
2. Fry chinese sausage & set aside
3. Fry salted fish & set aside (or you can steam it which is what I normally do)
4. Fry shallots, garlic & ginger
5. When soft, add chicken & brown all sides
6. Then add sauce & mushrooms & cook till chicken is done

As you can see, nothing is cooked in the claypot at all. If you have a claypot, you can now put the rice in the pot, add the chicken, sausages & mushrooms, ladle the sauce over & then simmer for a few minutes. What I do is to put it into the oven for 15-20 mins just to heat it up. But if you don't have a claypot, you can skip this part & just serve the chicken, sausages etc over the rice with the salted fish & additional dark soy sauce.


Here's a little bonus. I made a bunch of these a few months back & had frozen the extras.
When I get a craving, which I did yesterday, all I had to do was to take them out of the freezer, brush beaten egg over, put in the oven for 20-30 mins & voila, curry puffs.

I promise to post the recipe later.



2 comments:

Ivana said...

Hi there, found you through Sandra's blog and I must say... droool.... Wannabe claypot rice would certainly hit the spot any night here!

petite fleur said...

Hi Ivana,

Thank you for dropping by. You should try it yourself. It's fairly easy to do. Let me know if you have any questions.