Thursday, December 4, 2008

Chicken Tikka Masala

As much as I like Indian food, I realise that I don't cook it often. Although I'm personally partial towards South Indian food, it's easier to find North Indian restaurants any where you go & without fail, I would order chicken tikka masala.

I've been hoarding several recipes from the internet for chicken tikka masala but when I saw Lotus of East meets West post - I knew I had to try her version. It was so good I made it twice in one week.

It's a pity curry is not very photogenic but trust me, this is really delicious. I love the bright orange colour & the flavours. Once you've made this at home, you'll probably never need to order this in a restaurant again. Here's Lotus recipe which I've reproduced - I didn't & wouldn't make a single change to it.

Chicken Tikka Masala
source East meets West

Chicken Tikka :

500g Chicken filet cut into bite-sized pieces and marinated overnight with
Ginger powder or minced fresh Ginger
Ground Cumin
Cround Cinnamon
Ground Chilli
Ground Turmeric
Ground Coriander
Ground Pepper
Ground Paprika
Salt
Lime Juice
1 cup Yoghurt

The Gravy :
Butter
Onion
Garlic
Ground Cumin
Ground Coriander
Ground Paprika
Garam Masala
Fresh Chilli
250ml Tomato Purée
Diced Tomatoes
250ml Cream (e.g. Crème Fraîche, Mascapone, Philadelphia Cream Cheese)
Fresh Coriander leaves

It's great grilling the Tikka on a BBQ during BBQ season and then using the leftovers for a Tikka Masala. In colder months, one can cook the meat in an oven or like me when I'm lazy, just cook it till it's nicely browned in some butter on my heavy grill or non-stick wok.

If using the last solution, remove the browned meat pieces and set aside. Using the same butter left in the wok, brown the diced onion and minced garlic till fragrant. Add in the ground spices and stir fry for a minute or 2, then stir in the diced tomatoes (fresh or tinned) followed by the tomato purée. Stir and mix well with the spices, then add in the cream. Lower the heat and simmer till the sauce thickens, stirring from time to time.

10 minutes before serving, add the grilled Chicken Tikka into the sauce. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with buttered Basmati rice, naan or chapati.

4 comments:

Sri said...

Ok. I have to give this a shot. The recipe looks simple enough with easy to find ingredients!

javapot said...

I love Indian food but dont cook enough of it either. This looks yummy - did u have it with rice or bread?

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

Ah glad you liked it. I didn't as usual give any measures since I don't know myself how much of everything I used. But seasoned cooks like yourself will know by instinct plus experience how much to use.

BTW which cream did you use?

petite fleur said...

Sri - It's really easy & so delicious. Must try.

Javapot - With rice. You could eat with bread too but there's not that much gravy.

Lotus - Thank you again. We're loving this dish. I just agar agar which turned out great. I used crème fraîche cos I always have that in the fridge for making ice cream.