Monday, December 1, 2008

Celebrating a birthday

We recently celebrated the birthday of X's nephew. It was a simple affair with the family and as usual the food was anything but simple.

For aperitif, we were served little cups of pumpkin soup with pieces of foie gras accompanied by what seemed like an endless supply of champagne
(if you know me, you'll know that I'm not complaining).


The family

The starter was salmon tartar with mini blinis & salad


This was what I was most looking forward to. Daube (traditional French stew) cooked in a wood burning oven. We've enjoyed many pizzas from there but I've yet to try how a stew would turn out.

Lamb daube - I was a little surprised to see only potatoes & meat
cos traditionally daube would contain lots of vegetables & maybe olives.

But after cooking in the oven over low heat for many hours,
the meat was extremely tender & tasty.


Of course after the meal,
the birthday cake & opening of presents

Bon Anniversaire Mathys

No comments: