Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Asparagus soup

I love soups but reading my blog, you probably won't know that, would you ? Cos I've not featured soups at all. But you do know that I love asparagus cos I've already mentioned it here and here.

X requested for something light cos we've been having lots of heavy meals & besides, I do need to get my body ready for summer. Speaking of which, don't you hate trying on swim suits when you are still in your "winter whites" ? The last swim suit I bought was 5 years ago when I was in Rio. The Brazilians know swim wear so I bought so many bikinis & swim wear - enough to last me for well, 5 years. So I figured it was about time to get some new ones. I tried some on the other day & yikes, I need a tan so badly.

Geez talk about going off on a tangent. Okay back on track. So I decided to make asparagus soup since I was able to get a bunch at the market at a good price. I've had this recipe a while now so I don't remember where I'd scribbled it from. X had second helpings to the soup but I think I would have preferred the soup to be a little creamier.


Aren't asparagus such photogenic vegetable ?


Either way, you just can't take a bad shot of them



Asparagus Soup
serves 2-4

1 kg asparagus
1 large onion, sliced
3 Tbsp butter
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
1/2 lemon

1. Use a vegetable peeler to peel off the tough outer layer of the asparagus. Then cut into pieces, setting aside the tips

2. Cook onion in butter till soft over low heat

3. Add the asparagus (not the tips) & fry for 5 mins. Salt & pepper

4. Then add chicken stock, bring to a boil then simmer for 20 mins, till asparagus is soft

5. In the meantime, cook the tips for 3-4 mins in pot of salted water. Drain & set aside

6. When the asparagus is done, puree the soup

7. Add cream & squeeze lemon juice

8. Garnish with tips




No comments: