Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mango Ice cream


I hadn't lost interest in my ice cream maker yet. It's just that I've been so busy I haven't had time to try new flavours. Besides I've been making the same flavours cos the Girls loves green tea ice cream & X loves cookies so that's what I've been making over & over again.

I need to get them interested in other flavours. Mangoes, or rather good mangoes are really hard to come by around these parts. I've been meaning to try making mango ice cream for a while now so when I saw some the other day, I quickly grabbed them into my cart.

The taste was great - full of mango flavor but it wasn't creamy enough. Somehow the water content in the fruit makes it a little icey. X is of the opinion that it's better to make sorbets with fresh fruits. I'm not convinced. I'm going to keep trying.

Mango Ice Cream

2 mangoes, diced
150g sugar
300 ml heavy cream
300 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks

1. Add 3-4 Tbsp of sugar to the mangoes. Cover & keep overnight in the refrigerator

2. The next day, over medium heat, simmer the mango pieces with the sugar syrup. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove and cool.

3. Set aside about 1/3 of the mangoes. Puree the rest with sugar syrup in a blender or food processor. Cover and chill for an hour.

4. Heat the milk in low heat just as it's about to bubble. Remove from heat. Add the beaten 4 egg yolks & the remaining sugar. Put it back over the stove & over low heat, stir until it thickens.

5. When done, strain it with a fine sieve. Then set it aside to cool completely 2-3 hours or put it over an ice bath.

6. Mix in the mango puree & the cream (whipped lightly).

7. Process in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. In the last 5 minutes, add the remaining 1/3 of the mangoes that you had set aside earlier. (I do this cos I like to bite into chunky fruits in my ice cream. You can ignore this & just puree all of it in step 3).

8. When ready, remove from ice cream maker, pack into a container & freeze for a few hours.



No comments: