Monday, May 19, 2008

Cold Soba Noodles

I'll be in Rouen & Paris this week - visiting friends. First I had friends from HK last week & then I'll be meeting some other friends from San Francisco in Paris & of course, catching up with ones who live there. When it rains, it pours. I couldn't be happier.

I love Paris & always look forward to going there. I've been there with the Girl before but that was 2 years ago. Last year I went alone without her. Now that she's older & more communicative, I'm curious to see how she's going to enjoy the city. Besides I can't wait for my friends to meet her.

In Paris, one of my must go places is Kioko, the Japanese supermarket. There is of course, the temple known as Tang Freres. It is huge & has every conceivable Asian product that you can think of. Where here we have aisles of yoghurt, they have aisles of instant noodles. But going there is bad for my heart. I hyperventilate each time I step inside & I get dizzy with their selection. It's too much of a good thing & unless I'm prepared to leave with a cart full of stuff, I don't venture there. Kioko, on the other hand, I can manage. It has all my favorite Japanese specialty stuff which, believe it or not, I wouldn't be able to find in Tang Freres. Plus of course, I can get my fix of ramen just down the road.

So on that note, I will leave you with this - Cold soba noodles. Our friend, Take who is a Japanese chef was here in Feb & brought with him packets of these & also showed us how to prepare them. Poor Take, he was here on vacation & yet we made him cook.



Cold Soba Noodles

Condiments

Grated Ginger
Seaweed, cut to thin strips
Spring onions, sliced

Wasabi

Soba Sauce

1 cup water
20ml sake
20ml soya sauce
20ml mirin
1 tsp hondashi stock

Mix & bring to a boil then simmer

1. Cook noodles as per instructions on the packet


2. Drain & set aside


3. Serve sauce in individual bowls & allow each person to customise their sauce by adding the condiments - seaweed, spring onions, ginger & wasabi. The sauce should be warm


4. Dunk the noodles into the sauce & slurp.



I'll be back in a week with lots of stories & photos.

No comments: