Thursday, May 15, 2008

Home made Pizza

I haven't posted anything lately cos I've been busy but I do have a lot to blog about so I'm just going to get right to it

My good friend Appy & her daughter Jackie came to visit. We haven't seen each other in over 4 years & since I don't get many visitors (note to all friends & family who have yet to visit), I had been so looking forward to their arrival.

Last night, we were all invited to X's sister's place for home made pizza. This is always a treat cos they have an outdoor wood-fired oven & let me tell you, there is nothing quite like pizzas cooked in that oven.




To begin with, JM makes his own pizza dough & then all the ingredients are fresh from the garden eg. home grown tomatoes for the coulis.



This here is cepe also known as porcini, king of wild mushrooms. I love cepe. It is succulent & flavorful but this is the first time I've had it on a pizza. For me, this was the highlight of the evening cos it is excellent. And especially since these are hand picked by JM on one of his mushroom hunting trips (he has his secret hunting ground that is only known to him). Are you drooling yet ?



Check out that oven. The pizza needs to be in there no more than 7-10 mins. Then out comes delicious pizzas.

For starters, we had a green salad (of course, from Rene's garden) followed by pizza after pizza of all different varieties - smoked salmon, artichokes, cepe, anchovies, ham, bacon. For dessert, it was Jeannine's very own strawberry sorbet.

At the end, everybody had a go at rolling the dough & making their own pizza. It was so much fun & I probably had way too many slices of pizza. To put it in Appy's words "this family really takes food seriously". I couldn't have said it better.



No comments: