Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pigs in a blanket - Japanese style


These are actually called Nori wrapped chicken cakes but I didn't have any ground chicken so I used minced pork & it's just not the same calling them Nori wrapped pork cakes. Ah well, I'll just call them Japanese pigs in a blanket. I found this recipe from Soy & Pepper via Food Gawker.

These things are so addictive. I can't stop at one. I think I'll be making them as snacks for aperitif next time we have guests or as an appetiser.

She used 500g for 25-30 pieces which must be rather small cos I used 350g & only made 10 (each piece is 2 bite size, if you know what I mean ie. not small enough to be eaten at one go although you could stuff one into your mouth but it won't look very elegant).


Nori wrapped chicken cakes
source Soy & Pepper

500g minced chicken or pork
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp mirin
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp corn flour
several sheets of nori, cut into strips (depending on how many you make)

1. Add soy sauce, mirin, sugar & corn flour with the minced pork. Mix well & set aside for 15-30 mins.

2. Shape the meat mixture into patties & wrap a strip of nori around it. Moisten the end to seal it.

3. Heat a pan with oil & pan fry the patties until they are cooked through. They cook faster if you make them flatter.





No comments: