Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Pan fried Chicken with Mango


I never used to like mixing fruits in my food. Then fruits were to be eaten separately after a meal preferably fresh & not cooked, if cooked then it should be a dessert, sweet not savory. That's why I always steered away from dishes like Papaya soup (definitely no no cos I don't even like papayas to begin with) or Lemon Chicken (this always seem to appear on the menus of American Chinese restaurants).

I'm not exactly sure when that changed but slowly, I'm beginning to incorporate fruits when I cook. Remember the Beef fajita with pineapple salsa & I really like the combination of pineapple & curry which I did for the Thai red curry with duck. Fruits provide a different & very often refreshing dimension to the dish. I still won't eat papaya soup but I'm willing to give fruits a chance when I cook to see what combinations work best.

And when I came across this recipe for Pan fried Chicken with Mango at chez Steamy Kitchen, all the stars were aligned - I had everything on hand - even mangoes & part of a chicken left over from another dish, The Girl took a rare afternoon nap, I got my mojo back & dying to dig into a new dish.

Verdict : Easy to prepare & absolutely delicious. Go on, click on the link for the recipe & if like me, you are sceptical, this might change your mind about adding fruits into your dishes.



6 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

I don't think I've ever had papaya soup before...cold or hot?

Tsu Lin + + said...

It (the dish) looks absolutely tantalising, but my stars weren't aligned. Will probably look it up when they are. (Which is prob never cos I almost never buy mangoes around here, they are just not nice)

Rei said...

Hi there, I did have Papaya soup during my confinement. It's not that bad but make sure that they are unripe. :D Like your recipes, may I link you?

petite fleur said...

Jaden - Hot. Rei just reminded me that papaya soup is a popular menu item for ladies after giving birth - it's supposed to increase supply of breast milk.

Tsu Lin - The mangoes here are never as good as the ones back home. So whenever I see any decent ones (which is not very often as well) I'll grab some.

Rei - I never went thru all the confinement rituals. Maybe one day when I'm feeling adventurous, I might try it. And of course, you may. Thanks for linking me.

Tsu Lin + + said...

I am gonna attempt this recipe next week - I saw some mangoes today and bought 1!

Thanks Petit Fleur for highlighting this, and steamykitchen for featuring it. Wish me luck!

:)

petite fleur said...

Tsulin - I'm excited for you. Let me know how it turned out.